RDT At a Glance
What is RDT?
- Affiliate performance company of The Raleigh School of Ballet comprised of dancers, ages 12 through 18, selected through open auditions.
- An honor company of the prestigious Regional Dance America/Southeastern Regional Ballet Association.
- Formed in 1984 as a pre-professional ballet company in the Triangle.
- From 1994-1997, RDT performed as the pre-professional “Carolina Ballet,” the precursor to the current professional ballet company, Carolina Ballet.
- A deficit-free, 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization.
What does RDT do?
- Provides a high level of performance training for area dancers; several RDT alumnae and alumni have gone on to professional careers.
- Gives company members regular performance opportunities, including (if selected by Carolina Ballet Artistic Director Robert Weiss) supplementary corps de ballet roles in its productions.
- Fosters in young dancers’ qualities that will serve them in their professional and personal pursuits, whether or not they consider a professional dance career.
- Gives the Triangle community a chance to enjoy new works by nationally recognized choreographers in an accessible performance venue at affordable prices.
When does RDT perform?
- Presents two public performances annually, in fall and spring.
- Offers community outreach programs (e.g., lecture-demonstrations at public libraries and elementary schools in Wake and Durham counties, badge workshops Girl Scouts-NC Coastal Pines).
- Performs two or three times a year as part of regional dance festivals.