Ann Vorus Choreography Endowment Fund
Established in May 2003 in honor of Raleigh Dance Theatre’s Founder, the Ann Vorus Choreography Fund has been instrumental in allowing us to bring guest choreographers to set new works on RDT dancers. This includes:
- Lisa Collins Vidnovic and Denise D’Angelo, Cinderella
- Leslie Jane Pessemier, nationally recognized choreographer, Where Memories Echo, Bows and Beginnings, Nine at a Glance, Voxhumana
- Laura Dean, Choreography pioneer of international acclaim, Tao
- Tyler Walters, Choo-San Goh Choreography Award recipient, String Theory, Adagio and Fugue
- Jennifer Sommers, former RDT Associate Director, an assortment of beloved story ballets including this season’s Alice in Wonderland
- Zalman Raffael, Carolina Ballet’s Artistic Director, Lesson in Percussion • Pablo Perez, Carolina Ballet Artist, Tarde Otonal, Impromptu
The Choreography Fund has also supported RDT’s Emerging Choreographer Initiative. This program allows RDT dancers to create ballets for their peers with the support and guidance of the RDT artistic staff. These pieces are often selected to be adjudicated for the Regional Dance America/Southeast Festival. Some of these pieces have been included in RDT or RSB performances, giving many choreographers their first performance venue which sparks a desire to continue choreographing long after they leave Raleigh Dance Theatre!
Our emerging choreographers who have been selected to show their work on RDA/SE emerging choreographer performances include the following RDT alum: • Jennifer Palmer created her first piece on RDT dancers when she was 14. She received
the Monticello award for outstanding emerging choreography for her ballet Concerto in Colors in 2016 and her piece, Strung Together, was selected for the 2019 gala performance. This season she creates her first work for a professional ballet company, Carolina Ballet.
• Amy Greene whose work, Through the Noise won the Monticello award in 2014 • Megan Andrews, Camille Carroll, Holly Donnelly, and Layla El-Khoury also had pieces selected to perform.
To contribute to this special fund, please send a check with AV fund in the Memo line to:
Raleigh Dance Theatre
PO Box 33691
Raleigh, NC, 27636
We gratefully accept cash, checks, Visa or Mastercard.
Raleigh Dance Theatre is a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit organization.
Contributions are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law unless RDT provides goods or services in return for donations.